Image Map

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Where Did The Warm Weather Go? + Recipe

For the last week or so, we've had pretty warm weather. Rainy, but warm. Today however, temperatures dropped in the upper 30s which felt freezing compared to the temperatures we've had lately. I'm used to 30-something degree weather sticking around this long. Back home in Missouri, we usually still have snow falling around this time, even up until February (in fact, my sisters didn't have school today because of snow.) According to the locals however, it's supposed to start feeling like spring down here in mid-Mississippi. So what are you supposed to do when it's supposed to feel like spring but it's suddenly turned to winter again? Cuddle with your hunny while he plays video games on his PS3 and you check out your favorite blogs in your warm bed. Pure bliss if you ask me <3

Last night I made a tortellini soup. The recipe for this soup has been floating around a few blogs, so I'm not sure who the original creator of it is, (if it's you, just tell me and I'll give you credit.) I know another blog that has the recipe is here.


Yield: 3-4 servings

Ingredients:
1 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. dried oregano (we put in an entire teaspoon)
1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes, with juices (we could only find a 14.5 oz can and it worked just fine)
4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
9 oz. tortellini, any variety, fresh or frozen (we added a few more....as in 19 oz......)
3 cups fresh baby spinach, loosely packed
Salt and pepper to taste
Grated Parmesan, for serving

Directions: 
In large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions to the pan and cook until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, just until fragrant, about 1 minute. Mix in the oregano and diced tomatoes. Add the broth to the pot. Bring the mixture to a boil. Add the tortellini to the pot and cook according to the package directions. One minute before the tortellini is fully cooked, stir in the spinach. Remove from the heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm with grated Parmesan as desired.

I also made some Bisquik garlic-cheese biscuits that were super easy to make, they were just a 1/2 cup water and following the package directions.  

Mmmmm tortellini (Please ignore my dirty counter....sheesh) 

 Yummy biscuits

This recipe made a huge pot full, enough for Keegan to take some for work the next day. (Again, please ignore my mess, I really need to clean....)

This was a big hit in our house, and I must say I was pretty proud of my self. I'm on my way to being a good wifey :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment