Image Map

Monday, January 16, 2012

Stay Strong Joplin

Today I watched the "Extreme Home Makeover" episode devoted to Joplin (yes I know it technically aired on Friday, but I'm a little late to the game.) They made seven homes for seven families in seven days. Pretty impressive I'd say.

I can't even believe it's been 8 months since that terrible day. Just like September 11, 2001, I will forever remember where I was when I heard the news. Both Keegan and I are from Missouri, but Keegan lived closer to Joplin than I did so hearing that something like this happened in our home state really hit both of us hard. Keegan and I had just moved to Mississippi a week before and Keegan's brother Derek had just joined the Carl Junction (a small town close to Joplin) police force in the beginning of the month, so he was pretty fresh to the team. We heard about the tornado ripping through Joplin and that Keegan's mom couldn't get a hold of Derek. Derek ended up being ok but a tree fell on his car and the house he was renting with some friends had some wind damage. We spent the rest of the day getting bits and pieces of information form Keegan's mom about Derek and the situation in general, and eventually went to bed hoping that in the morning, we wouldn't see horrible images. A tornado also went through my home town the same day, so in the midst of  worrying about Derek, I was also worrying about my own friends and family.

About 4 in the morning, we finally got a call from Derek which was the most haunting thing I have ever heard. Keegan picked up the phone and the first thing that Derek said was that he couldn't deal with pulling dead bodies out of the wreckage and that he had to call someone before he went crazy. I can't even image being fresh on the job and something like this being your first "big" job. Keegan talked to Derek for what seemed like forever as I tried to hear what he was saying and to see if he was doing ok. He eventually calmed down (as much as he could,) and we tried to go back to sleep while I think we both just lied there hoping that Derek and everyone in Joplin would eventually be ok. I really think going through the tornado and the aftermath made Derek grow up a lot. He's really matured since May and I'm so proud for what he has done for Joplin.

I must say, I'm glad that I watched the Joplin "Extreme Home Makeover" episode while Keegan was at work because I'm pretty sure I cried through the entire thing. It just broke my heart to see the town and families so broken, but it also made me happy to see that the residents of Joplin still had hope. I love that my friends from back home went to volunteer with the show, and if I wasn't three states away, I would have been by their sides. I know that Keegan has friends who live in and around Joplin who have started rebuilding their homes and businesses and that makes me beyond happy.

I'll always remember where I was when I heard about the tornado that ripped through Joplin, but I'm so glad that they have been able to start rebuilding. Things can only go up from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment