Image Map

Monday, July 16, 2012

Too Soon...

It is with a heavy heart that I write this post. I learned over the weekend that two young men, one from my high school and one from my rival high school were killed in combat overseas.

Even though I didn't know them personally, it still breaks my heart to hear that they have passed away. They were young, one graduated high school in 2010, the other in 2009.

I know that this is a dangerous profession. They signed up for the military knowing the risks. Still, that doesn't help heal the hearts of their families and friends.

I feel for their family and friends. I was a military girlfriend for about 6 months before I met Keegan. My boyfriend at the time, T, and I decided to start dating even though I knew he would be away for the majority of our relationship. We went through his basic training together and eventually a deployment in Kuait. I have so much respect and compassion for other military spouses. I remember getting a letter, text, or phone call from him would be the highlight of my week. One time, I missed a call from him when I was at work, and started sobbing in front of my (brand new) manager. Thankfully, my manager let me go to the back room and talk to T for about 5 minutes. I remember feeling so guilty that I had missed his phone call, scared that something was wrong, and sad that I wasn't able to talk to him. Even though personal differences, (not the military,) drew us apart, T and I are still close. I was elated to hear that he was back from deployment and would eventually be discharging from the military all together over the next year or so.

It is my honest worry that one day I will have grown sons or daughters who want to enlist. It is a noble and amazing thing that people do when they enlist, I just can't imagine being a mother to someone who is enlisted. The constant worry, lack of communication and emotional stress is something I don't know if I could handle. Of course, if I do have a child who enlists, I would support them in any way possible. I just know it would be unbelievably difficult.

In a strange way, I guess this post is a huge thank you to everyone who is in the military, a veteran, or a military spouse/child. I don't know if there is ever any way to say enough "thank yous" for what you have done for this country. Because of you, people, including a non-citizen like myself, are able to live in this country, free.

I hope that the families of the two young men who passed away this weekend find comfort in the fact that their sons touched so many lives. Just looking over the Facebook pages of these men show how much love and support they had in their lives. Strangers who seem to have no real connection are commenting on how proud they are of these men, how in some way they have touched their lives.

I can't imagine being in their mothers' places right now. Knowing that your son has passed away, having to wait to receive his body, then having your own memorial and burial. I'm sure it seems like a nightmare that will never end. I just hope that they realize that their sons were amazing men and touched many lives. They made the ultimate sacrifice at such a young age, something that many men much older than them are not willing to do. The rumor of protesters at their funerals must be the a huge slap in the face.

This post isn't mean to be for or against the military, our government, or religion of any sort. I just wanted to document the fact that two young men made an unbelievable sacrifice doing something they believed in. I hope that their families and friends will somehow find peace with this situation.

Again, to anyone who is currently in the military, a veteran, or military spouse/child, thank you.



No comments:

Post a Comment