Image Map

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Decorated Bride

One of my friends on Facebook posted this link to another blog, My Love For You, about decorated brides from Kosovo. According to the blog, "Lubinje brides of Kosovo are meticulously dressed and made up for their wedding day. It's done to ward off the "evil eye, and discourages gossip and speculation."






I looked through the pictures and saw the video of the elder woman (not sure if its a mother or grandmother) adorning the bride with paint, sequins, and probably the prettiest, and most expensive clothing that the bride will wear her entire life. At first, I thought to myself, "I'm glad that brides over here don't go through this," but after second thought, don't we? Don't brides spend months before their wedding working out to get that "perfect" body (I'll admit to this,) and spray tan for weeks before? The day of, don't many brides cake their faces in foundation, eye liner, mascara, lipstick, jewelry, crystal headpieces and wear a dress that costs as much as a down payment on a car, if not more? If you think about it, the two customs are not that different no matter how much we care to think they are. 

Funny enough, I think that many of the western brides who spend $10,000 just on a dress and look like a clown in their make up are the strange ones. I think these decorated brides are absolutely beautiful. Maybe this is what I'll do for my wedding day.  

Here is the link to the specific blog post if you want it: The Decorated Bride

No comments:

Post a Comment